Thursday, September 25, 2008

Vintage Toons

My cartoon collection has been growing quite nicely. The most recent aquisition was a 12 DVD, 600 episode boxset, made up of 60 hours of, (I think), 12 different vintage cartoon titles. The DVDs include Betty Boop, Heckle and Jeckle, The Three Stooges, one of my favorites, Popeye the sailor man, and many more. Some of these old Fleischer Studios cartoons have so much character to the animation and are so well done, it's amazing to see what they were capable of back in the 40s and 50s.
Here is one of the Popeyes that I watched last night. Olive Oyl was a nut case in these early ones.



Watching all of this Popeye takes me back to the 1980 live action film. This film had some of the best casting, IMO, of any movie I've seen to date. Robin Williams (in his first film role no less) and Shelly Duvall (right after her role in The Shining) are the only people I can picture actually pulling off the roles of Popeye and Olive.


Enjoy

No comments: