Monday, September 15, 2008

Housewarming party

This past Saturday I was invited to attend my brother's housewarming party. I decided that I wanted to paint a canvas for his new pad. The hardest part was deciding what to paint. I tried to force myself to come up with something classy and music inspired. After passing on a bunch of ideas I decided to get the drunk clowns out of my system and came up with these quick sketches.

Sketches
After sketching the final picture on the 24"x30" canvas I lined it in blue acrylic.

painted-line
Then I built up the shadows in washes of the blue acrylic.

Blue-and-white
Then I started knocking in some colour.

knocked-in-colour
Finally, I filled in the rest of the colour and built up the shadows.

Final

I think it went over pretty well. I also like how the subject of clowns yields a wide range of reactions. My brother said he couldn't help but smile when looking at it while others found it quite disturbing.

detail3

detail2

detail1

5 comments:

Adrian J.K. Shum, CGD said...

You had me at drunk clowns... LOL. Great piece Doug! Glad to see you pick up the brush again... looking forward to seeing what's up next. Cheers!

James E. Daniels said...

That's an awesome painting Doug, Drunk Clowns always = fun!
Except for those with "Clownaphobia"...
I enjoyed seeing your step-by-step process.

James said...

Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me.

Amber said...

This is a great piece Doug! Slightly creepy, yes - but it still made me smile. A agree with Mr.Daniels that the step-by-step process was great to see too!

Damian B said...

Thanks for writing tthis