Thursday, February 5, 2009

Der König von Schnitzel

kraut_king
Tonight Rae and I enjoyed dinner at Winnipeg's only German diner that I'm aware of, the Kraut King (located under the parking lot on the corner of Garry Street and Portage Avenue). This wasn't our first time trying this restaurant and it is sure to become a regular treat. If you've been following my blog, you'll know that Rae and I are taking German language classes. When we learned about a popular German dish called Currywurst, we really wanted to try it and as far as I know, the Kraut King is the only place in Winnipeg to get it.

die grille
At the heart of the Kraut King is the grille. There is something that I appreciate about the open kitchen concept where you can see how a kitchen is kept. It may be paranoia, but I've seen enough of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares to be wary.

schnitzel dish
Kraut King also makes a fine Wiener Schnitzel. It was served with a tasty spicy mayonnaise for lack of a better description. They also offer great Bratwurst, large Pretzels and more dishes.

If you don't mind curry I would seriously recommend trying the Currywurst.
See more Kraut King photos here.

Photographing my food has been inspired by my friend K-Jin

No comments: